Saltford Environment Group
Saltford and Kelston Lock, early 1900s (from tinted postcard).
The History of Saltford: ONLINE MUSEUM
20th Century (page 2)
On this page you can see images of the river that has always been so much of Saltford life together with aerial photographs of Saltford where you can see how Saltford once looked before many of today's houses were built.
Scroll down the page to see:-
20th Century Saltford page 2
View from Homefield (above The Outlook), Saltford 1909. Note the stone wall along the side of the road that no longer exists.
Kelston Lock Island at Saltford, 1920s, with Douglas motorcycle & sidecar, made in Kingswood, in foreground. Photograph courtesy of Paul Townsend, Bygone Keynsham (facebook project, 2018).
1924: "...finest scenery to be found on the Avon"
This advert from the 1924 edition of the Tourist Guide to Bath was accompanied by the following text:-
BASC was established in 1955 in Saltford. These early photographs of the club's members sailing on the river at Mead Lane were kindly lent to SEG by BASC in 2019 to copy for the Online Museum. The modern club house was subsequently built to the RH side of the wooden hut shown on the RH side in the top photograph.
1934 (compared with 2017)
July 1934: Bath sewage works at Saltford from west looking east and with a similar view below in 2017. The 1934 photograph is reproduced by kind permission of © Historic England. 2017 photograph taken by Jamie Balsdon for © SEG.
Swineford Lock is top left corner of the photograph and the Bristol to Bath A431 runs above the river.
1936 (compared with 2018)
c.1936: Aerial view of railway station, Saltford Brass Mill and river and similar view taken again in 2018 for SEG. Click on either photograph to open a larger version (opens in new window). © Saltford Environment Group.
1962 (compared with 2018)
1962: Aerial view of The Glen and Uplands Road behind and similar view taken again in 2018 for SEG. Click on either photograph to open a larger version (opens in new window). © Saltford Environment Group.
c.1968 aerial photgraphs of Saltford (compared with 2018)
These six aerial photographs taken in the late 1960s (c.1968) were copied by Saltford Environment Group in April 2016 from originals held at the Somerset Heritage Centre in Taunton. They are from Historic England's Aerofilms collection. For most of these we have also provided a 2018 (colour) version.
You can click on each photograph to open a larger version (each opens in new window).
1. Viewed from south: Beech Rd/ManorRd/A4 crossroads.
2. Saltford viewed from west (click on photograph for larger version).
3. Saltford viewed from SW, Grange Rd in foreground.
4. Saltford viewed from NE, St Mary's on right, closed LMS railway that became Sustrans cycleway bottom left (click on photograph for larger version).
5. Viewed from south: A4 road through Saltford in foreground (click on photograph for larger version).
6. Saltford viewed from east, River Avon and The Shallows in foreground.
1969 aerial photograph of The Shallows and Kelston Lock by Malcolm Guthrie (compared with 2018)
1969: Aerial view of The Shallows and Kelston Lock, Saltford. 1969 photograph taken by Malcolm Guthrie. Similar view taken again in 2018 for SEG by Jamie Balsdon. Click on photographs to open larger version
1972 aerial photographs of Saltford by Malcolm Guthrie
© Saltford Environment Group