logo + link

Saltford Environment Group
  towards a sustainable future for our village

image
St Mary's Church, Saltford. Interior, east (2015)

SEG Home > History of Saltford > A - Z > St Mary's (p.1) > St Mary's (p.2)

The History of Saltford

St Mary's (p.1)

(Back to A - Z)

St Mary's in pictures

photograph
St Mary's interior in 1932 looking eastwards with box pews.

photograph
St Mary's interior in 1934 looking westwards;
box pews temporarily replaced by chairs.

photograph
Harvest at St Mary's in 1935.

photograph
New pews in place at St Mary's, 1935.

photograph
Choir, 1954.

photograph
Rev Richard Hall marries a couple at St Mary's in January 2010
(hence the Christmas tree)

photograph
South (2015)

photograph
East (2015)

photograph
North - Saltford Manor can just be seen to the right in this photograph (2015)

photograph
St Mary's Church tower (2015)

photograph
St Mary's from the grounds of Saltford Manor (2015)

photograph
View east from roof of St Mary's Church tower (2015)

image
Interior looking eastwards to the Chancel (2015)

photograph
Interior looking westwards to the organ gallery (2015)

photograph
January 2013


button

Saltford Environment Group
W3C compliant website. Web page designed and produced by Phil Harding.


photograph

The 1970s stained glass window in tower (west) in
memory of Cecil Ewins, organist. (Photo. 2015)


photograph

The stained glass window in the chancel (east)


photograph

Stained glass window in the Nave (north)
"The Comper Window" (see information below).

photograph

The Ninian Comper strawberry mark (RH corner).

This window was donated by the Rev C R Ward in memory of his nephew, Captain Francis Welford Ward of the Gloucestershire regiment, who was killed during WWI. The window was designed by the renowned church architect Sir Ninian Comper (1864 - 1960) who designed windows for many churches including Westminster Abbey and Downside Abbey in Somerset. He was one of the last of the great Gothic Revival architects.


photograph

Stained glass window in the Nave (south)
with Book of Remembrance on window sill


photograph
January 2013