logo + link

Saltford Environment Group
  towards a sustainable future for our village

image
Extract from 1817 OS map of Somerset. Courtesy of Bath Record Office.

SEG Home > History of Saltford > A - Z > Online Museum > Document Library > Online Map Room

The History of Saltford

ONLINE MAP ROOM

Here we have made available digital images of Saltford's historic maps. Larger versions for some maps can be seen by clicking on the map image.

Please note that all images are Copyright Saltford Environment Group or the photographer/supplier unless otherwise stated. These may be reproduced for educational purposes if the originator(s) and copyright holders are shown.

Scroll down page or click on these links to see maps:-.



Also see:-

ONLINE MUSEUM

TIMELINE (300 BC to the modern age)

(Back to A - Z)


image

1610: "Sallford"

image

This 1610 map (extract) from the Jacobean period is the earliest map we have showing Saltford ("Sallford").


Return to top of page



1742: "Salford"

image + link
Photograph Phil Harding. Courtesy of Bath Record Office (April 2018).

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This map is from Thomas Thorpe's 1742 famous map entitled "An actual survey of the City of Bath, in the County of Somerset, and of 5 miles round".

It is the earliest map we have that depicts the location of individual buildings in Saltford ("Salford"). The names listed in the top LH corner are some of the "Nobility and Gentry and Worthy Subscribers" who funded the project.


Return to top of page



1782: Saltford

image + link
Photograph Phil Harding. Courtesy of Bath Record Office (April 2018).

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This 1782 map from the Georgian period was produced and published by Day and Masters, Blagdon, 1st March 1782.


Return to top of page



1817: Saltford

image + link
Photograph Phil Harding. Courtesy of Bath Record Office (April 2018).

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This 1817 map is an extract from the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map that was first published for Somerset.


Return to top of page



1830: Saltford

image + link

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This 1830 map of Saltford and the surrounding area is based on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map that was first published for Somerset.


Return to top of page



1837: Saltford Tithe Map (annotated)

image
Selected image from the original Tithe map for Saltford (version 1838).

SEG has produced a unique digital image of the Saltford 1837 Tithe Map with 1837 field names included and modern street names shown to assist viewers navigate the map. You can download two versions here (pdf opens in new window):

NOTE (from our Online Museum)

The Tithe Commutation Act 1836 was an Act of Parliament that replaced the ancient system of payment of tithes in kind with monetary payments. It is especially noted for the tithe maps which were needed for the valuation process required by the Act.

Tithes were originally paid as one-tenth of the produce of the land (crops, eggs, cattle, timber, fishing, etc.) to the rector, as alms (charitable gifts) and as payment for his services. The tithes were often stored in a tithe barn attached to the parish. At the dissolution of the monasteries some of the land passed out of church ownership, and the tithes were then paid to private landlords.

Inclosure (or Enclosure) Acts from 1604 to 1914 enclosed open fields and common land in the country, creating legal property rights to land that was previously considered common, made further modifications. They either abolished tithe payments entirely or replaced them with monetary payments. Other arrangements also replaced payments in kind.

The Tithe Act 1936 abolished all tithe rent charges, converting them into annuities paid to the state through the Tithe Redemption Commission. The Act also compensated the former tithe-owners out of Government stock. The annuity payments were transferred in 1960 to the Board of Inland Revenue, and those remaining were terminated by the Finance Act 1977.


Return to top of page



1840s: Saltford

image + link
Photograph Phil Harding. Courtesy of Bath Record Office (April 2018).

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This map from the 1840s is an updated version of the original 1817 OS map that we have featured above. The Great Western Railway line and Saltford station can now be seen.


Return to top of page



1883-4: Saltford

image + link
Photograph Phil Harding. Courtesy of National Library of Scotland (2018).

Click on map to open a larger version that also shows more of the surrounding area (jpeg map opens in new window).

This OS map from 1883-4 of Saltford Village was kindly provided for us by the National Library of Scotland (2018). The map is a composite of several images held by NLS hence the different colour panels.


Return to top of page


Saltford historic maps with modern overlays

image
Image of 1888 map from online map

To see historic maps of Saltford on the National Library of Scotland website and overlay a modern map (by changing the transparency of the overlay), so that you can see how Saltford has changed, click these links (to maps.nls.uk website):

  • 1888: Saltford
    NOTE: You can also select a different map, e.g. 1913, 1947 or 1961 in the search panel.
  • 1902/3: Saltford
    NOTE: You can also select maps showing geological and other information from the search panel.

Return to top of page





button

Saltford Environment Group
W3C compliant website. Web page designed and produced by Phil Harding.